Where to begin?
Ten somewhat random things about Jim:
- I was born in the southern suburbs of Chicago (Park Forest, to be exact), went to college in a small town in Iowa, and have now lived on the north side of Chicago (in Lakeview) for 8 years. Compared to many people I know, my family is quite normal.
- I've always been a reader. This may very well explain why I am an editor.
- My favorite hat is my 1914 (?) Cubs hat. I'm not really a hat person at all, but if I had to pick a favorite hat, that would be the one. Getting somebody to tell you what there favorite hat is can be a good way to get to know some unusual (granted, often trivial) background on somebody's personality. I've encouraged a friend or two to do this when going on a first date with somebody. Anther question to ask:what are five of your favorite books? I like this better than asking about favorite movies or bands, I think you get a better measure of a person. Or ask somebody what their favorite works of art are.
- I'm a lousy artist, can't draw at all. Witness the self-portrait.
- Favorite writers: Updike and Fitzgerald come to mind quickly. Unfortunately, I don't read as much as I should. Let me modify that: I read the paper every day. I read some magazines (Time, Wired, Entertainment Weekly, The New Yorker) on a regular basis. I just think I should be reading more books.
- Never had a dog. Wish I could have one now, but no pets are allowed in the building. If I had a dog, I'd name her Amy (long story, not terribly interesting).
- I'm not so much 30 years old as I am three 10-year-olds or two 15-year-olds.
- I've had a web page since 1994. Does this make me an old-timer when it comes to the internet? I began using computers in seventh grade.They're interesting, but they're just tools. I've been using Apples since 1980, and a Mac since 1987. Unfortunately, I've got a Win95 system at work. I'll leave the holy wars to others, but for what I do, the Mac is the tool for the job.
- I can tend to ramble on a bit. (See my pervious answers for examples.) I intend to write some of these ramblings down and I'll put them up on the site. See some of my other pages, most notably the music pages for more examples.
This concludes the little Intro to Me section.